SPORT REPORT: The Army win the Babcock trophy at a sold-out Twickenham stadium

This bank holiday weekend, we saw The Army win back the Babcock trophy in what turned out to be a scorcher of a rugby game in more ways than one… All viewed from our fantastic hospitality in Twickenham Stadium.

This bank holiday weekend, we saw the Army win back the Babcock trophy in what turned out to be a scorcher of a rugby game in more ways than one.

The Army v Navy Rugby match is a highly anticipated annual affair played in front of 80,000 people. The Army triumphed over a Navy side, who were a man short in the first half. Corinthian’s clients got to view all of the action from the comfort of our luxury hospitality at a sold-out Twickenham!

All the excitement of the first half of the Army v Navy Rugby 2018

Despite the RAF having already won the Inter Services Championship, there was still a lot on the line for both sides – not least forces pride.

Although the Navy were strong in possession at the start of the game, it didn’t lead to a lot of territory in the Army’s half.

From our corporate hospitality setting we watched an impressive first 15 minutes. The Navy then appeared to undo all of their early good work with a moment of madness.

Navy’s LOGS(SC) Sam Matavesi was sent off for an early shower at 18 mins! The referee took a long look at an apparent headbutt before sending the Senior Service man off.

With the Senior Service team down to 14 men, the Army looked to capitalise, and they did. With 2 tries in quick succession the Army found themselves in front for the first time in the game at 12 – 9 as the first half ended.

The second half kicks off…

At the start of the second half, the Army attempted to take advantage of the extra man again – unfortunately with no points scored. However the referee judged that the Army man had strayed into touch before placing the ball over the line.

During the following 20 minutes, the crowd viewed some extremely untidy play… however, on the 68th minute mark, the Army extended their lead.

The Army went on to successfully convert a penalty, meaning the Navy would need two converted tries to get back in front.

With mounting pressure and despite being a man down, the Navy finally went over the line. In the 76th minute Ratu Vakalutukali escaped his man and flew over the line. Unfortunately, his fellow Marine, Nathan Huntley, hooked the kick wide missing out on those precious extra points.

And with that, all hope of a Navy revival was lost, and the final whistle went.

The rugby results?

The Army win the Babcock Trophy 22-14 – watch the highlights.

Interested in our Rugby hospitality packages? Take a look at the event schedule